Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

AZAEA conference, Pinetop, AZ October, 2011

I had the greatest of intentions to start blogging all of my fantastic ideas -- cool inspirations -- all that... Needless to say, it hasn't quite gone that way for me SO FAR this year. I don't know what is going on in the cosmos out there, but I think teachers are feeling a bit o' pressure. I sincerely couldn't get myself really grounded into the school year until the last few weeks.  What helped me??? Well, staying really really late in the classroom for a few nights and just cleaning up and attending my first art teacher conference. I went to the AZAEA conference in Pinetop, AZ a few weeks ago. It was amazing to be around other art teachers and artists and remember why I do this.

So here's a quick list of the classes I attended:
  • Yoga in the art room!
  • Finding my artistic voice: I was able to sit with other art teachers and be a student. We had instruction by our guest artist - who is AMAZING!!! The lesson she taught us I call "taking a walk through the elements". I will be uploading artwork and a lesson soon.
  • Altered books - last time I worked on an altered book I cut my finger and got stitches...that was about 7 years ago.
  • 3 in one class - made my first altered cigar box a styrofoam print and a grid painting.
The conference was relaxing - it was fun to room with one of my good friends - Lisa. I think both of us needed to regroup a bit and get some fire back. Creating does that...

The main thing I learned is that I'm over complicating the creative process for myself. Just DO - and the art will come. I think I've been afraid of taking risks with my own artwork.

One a good note - the Sunset Ridge artsonia gallery is booming! We are #1 for the state of AZ and #13 in the nation. I have had a lot of amazing help from some art room parents that make it possible.
Check out our site:
www.artsonia.com/schools/ridge1

Look for some activity now - the next few weeks I'm going to get to work on this blog. I spoke to an art teacher who said she had a blog too - she just didn't write much. She said that at the end of a day of teaching, it's difficult to get your thoughts in order -- at least anything worth writing. I TOTALLY agree. I'm just going to put myself out here tonight - and hope that I can continue with this blog with zeal and confidence.

Pinterest has gotten my attention lately - and I think I need to share my boards - good thing about Pinterest - you can just click a button "repin" and capture something. Not a ton of thought required :)

Check out my boards:  http://pinterest.com/camillego/

For now - happy teaching - happy art doing!

No comments: